Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy 4th of July

Happy "America's Birthday" to everyone.... I am quite pleased that the weather is perfect in the Bay area.... one of the few across the country with record-breaking heat everywhere else. Stay cool people!

Not much planned here today.... a little work, maybe a hike, relaxing with my kitty, catching up on DVR TV, downloading some EReader books (No, Fifty Shades of Grey... been there, done that... and was pleased, I might add, but on to others- I am quite into celebrity biographies these days), and of course, what 4th would be complete without a little BBQ.   Meat is marinating now. Yum.

But, as I relax, I am thinking about my how fun the 4th weekends were as a kid.  Summers and 4th weekends at the lake cabin in Minnesota.
* Water skiing and tubing
* Pot luck meals (love the red, white & blue food such as jello salads, cakes, etc.)
* Wine coolers (yes, that is what I said- you did not read it wrong)
* Fireworks that are pretty darn impressive when shot off by relatives on the lake and don't cost $1 million
* Always getting a little sun burn (ok, now as I pray for now wrinkles or skin cancer, I wish I would have been better on this one.. don't we all wish we had listened!?)

Fun times.  Along with Labor Day weekend.  And Memorial Day weekend.  Labor Day was always my fave due to Grandpa's hayrides, but the 4th came in a close second. 
Now, as an adult, especially when the 4th is on a Wednesday and not tied to a weekend as well as working retail when stores are open, I am just fine with low key and hoping I have enough energy to make it out to watch fireworks in some city park at dusk.

Reminiscing about fun childhood times, I am just fine watching Casey nap (what's new), watching the season finale of "The Big Bang Theory" (yes, I am behind) and playing around on my laptop until I decide to actually get up and do something that requires getting dressed.  Plus, my excuse it work calls and emails keep coming in and I cannot let folks down :)

I am thankful for my freedom.  Thanks America, soldiers and our founding Fathers.
Happy 4th of July to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment