Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas!!!

A very Merry Christmas Eve to all...

I am sitting on the couch, in front of the TV which is playing one of many football games (this one happens to be the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl), relaxing with the folks while we wait for Jarrod to return from work to begin Feast #1 for the holiday weekend- I am foregoing our tradition of Christmas Eve homemade pizzas and I am trying slow-cooked BBQ tri-tip sandwiches with picnic fixins'. Something new for Christmas 2010! Reviews come later.

I am quite relaxed while Mom is curled up on one end of the couch, Dad on the other, and me hogging the love seat with laptop in lap (how ironic), Casey cuddled up next to me, and a nice glass of Pinot Noir glistening against the roaring fire (nope- not a cliche- this is for real). Reminiscing about what I adore about Christmas since I was a kid:

* I fondly remember Swedish meatballs and homemade rolls on Christmas Eve at Grandma & Grandpa's house in Minneapolis
* The famous Candlelight service at church before heading to Grandma's- best church service of the year- so pretty
* Over maximizing the capacity of Grandma's basement with every relative we cram in plus about 10 wrapped gifts per person under the 3 foot fake tree that Grandma shoved in the closet- ornaments, lights, and all- every year
* Those yummy Kemp's ice cream treats shaped like Christmas tress and Snowmen heads that are only available during the month of December- love those!
* Gifts in the stocking from Santa on Christmas morning that still continues these days (yes, it IS from Santa... he does exist and he does know what I want for Christmas)
* Getting Hallmark ornaments and PJs every single year
* Insisting we watch some cheesy holiday movie every year on Christmas Day- don't forget the 24 hour repeat of "A Christmas Story" on TBS every year, but I am partial to "Elf" these days
* Shopping with Mom the morning after Christmas as early as possible (but not as early as Black Friday!) to buy the 50% off crap I really don't need, but MUST have- starting at the Target holiday isles!!! Gift wrap, bows, tape, tinsel... anyone?
* And my favorite Christmas memory for the past several years.. heading to Tiffany & Company the day after to have my new charm added to my charm bracelet... it's not even half full and it's BEAUTIFUL!!!

In California I cannot say "Oh the weather outside is frightful...", but I can say... MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT!!! HO HO HO!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment