Sunday, February 1, 2009

Let's Talk Superbowl

Biggest day of the year in sports, huh? My question is this...

If I do not live in Pennsylvania nor Arizona and I am not a fan of the Steelers nor the Cardinals, who do I cheer for???

Do I cheer for the Steelers because a friend is a huge fan and that is who he wants to win? Or do I go with the co-worker who is on the Cardinals side because he lived in Arizona in the past? Ugh. Don't get me wrong... I enjoy watching the game (especially in High Def on a big screen TV with pizza, beer, buffalo wings, 7-Layer dip.... okay, I am getting ahead of myself now). I like the excitement of the "big game" and of course the entertaining commercials and half-time show. Bring on "The Boss"!

Back to the "who to cheer for" question. My belief is you should be a fan of the team where you actually live and not just become a fan for whichever team is playing in the Superbowl. For example, I was a Vikings fan when I lived in MN even when they were not winning (which was most of the time). Oops- that does not work because I am neither a 49ers nor a Raiders fan. The one time I went to a Raider game in Oakland, I thought I may be killed before the 3rd quarter. Frightening fans. Really. Trust me on this one.

Ok- how about the girly-girl way to go and cheer by colors of the uniforms. I even overhead a discussion while getting my hair cut the other day about the mascots. We obviously have a bird (cardinal) and according to the person whom I was eaves drooping on, the other mascot is a "thief" (get it- "stealer". Oh boy...) Ha! Reminds me of the movie "Steel Magnolias" when Olympia Dukakis's character was interviewing football players on the radio and she thought "color commentary" was about the uniform colors. Well... if I went that route, I may never get another date as long as I live.

So, final decision: I'm gonna go with whomever Dad says. Bruce Springsteen may the half-time show, but Dad is "The Boss" in my book.
Kick off will happen soon. Enjoy the game.
Are you ready for some football???

No comments:

Post a Comment